Need an Energy Boost? Try this Chia Juice!
Did you know that “chia” is the ancient Mayan word for “strength”? If that doesn’t deserve its own workout drink, I don’t know what does. But don’t buy one from the store – they’re loaded with sugar! Here’s what you need to know about chia seeds, including a delicious healthy recipe for a refreshing juice!
5 Fun Facts About Chia Seeds
- Chia seeds contain more Omega-3s than salmon, gram for gram.
- High fiber and protein content makes you feel full longer and slows the metabolism of sugars.
- Nicely balanced amino acids make the protein easy for our bodies to use.
- Contain 4 nutrients that work together to maintain good bone health: Calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and protein.
- Lowers blood pressure and inflammation.
Chia seed drinks are quickly trending in high-end health food stores, but like most mass-produced bottled beverages, they’re high in sugar. I love adding chia seeds to my juices and smoothies for their healthy omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium since the combination keeps your blood-sugar even for hours. Hello steady energy! While you can add chia seeds to anything, I love this refreshing, ultra-hydrating recipe.
Minty-Fresh Energy Boost Juice
- ½ lemon
- 1 cucumber
- Handful of romaine, arugula, or watercress
- Handful of mint
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ green apple