6 Reasons to Jump on the Turmeric Trend
When mixologists start making cocktails out of something, you know it’s officially become a trend, and turmeric is right there. It’s been featured on NPR as “the new green tea,” and on Dr. Oz as the cure for seasonal depression (just as effective as anti-depressant medications, without the side effects). The health benefits of turmeric span thousands of years and dozens of studies. Are you ready for the new Super Food?
“It’s literally plant medicine!” – Dr. Oz
Turmeric has been used medicinally for almost 4000 years to cure everything from eczema to allergies, and even stopping poison in its tracks.
In Western medicine, turmeric hasn’t been studied nearly as extensively as it should be, but what they’ve found so far is nothing short of amazing.
6 Scientifically Backed-Up Health Benefits of Turmeric
- A powerful anti-inflammatory, used for arthritis relief, bladder infections, Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis to name a few. And, it’s better for you than Aspirin.
- A powerful antioxidant which can prevent infection and cancer growths.
- A study showed that turmeric, when combined with chemotherapy, makes the chemo more potent while decreasing side effects.
- An effective antibacterial (but if you use it topically to treat acne or sores, prepare to turn yellow!).
- A liver-cleanser – Curcumin, the main component of turmeric, improves liver function, allowing the liver to get rid of bad cholesterol.
- New studies have shown Turmeric may be able to prevent Alzheimer’s, and slow its progression.
At Intelligent Gourmet, we often put turmeric in with our fresh juices. Come by and try! Apparently, everyone is doing it (or soon will be!).